Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas as a New Family

We are getting close to our first Christmas together.  It's been fun putting up the Christmas tree, talking about each other's family traditions, and just being together. 

Some of the things we've done:
  • Put up the Christmas tree.  It's the fake tree that Brianna had from the past, so we didn't get to go out and hunt for one, but it's still nice.  For some reason she like tinsel on the tree...  Strange.
  • Sat with the lights off except for the tree, sipping hot chocolate and listening to Christmas music.
  • Finding some nice presents for each other and family.  I think half of them are homemade and I'm looking forward to giving them.
  • We taught Children's Church on Sunday and did a special craft.  We painted ornaments!  It was a lot of fun and we enjoyed watching the kids enjoy themselves.
  • Went and enjoyed time with family down in Linden and Three Hills.  Played Apples to Apples and was laughing so hard!
 What's coming up:
  • New Life Church is doing a Christmas party out at Pioneer Ranch this Sunday.  I hear rumors of a feast and fun times.  I plan on setting up a Settlers of Catan game.  And maybe even doing some sort of card game.  Going to be a ton of fun!
  • We have plans for a great Christmas Eve time, eating food, opening presents, maybe a Christmas Eve service.   
  • Christmas Day is going to be a service at church, then we are going to have Fondue at her parent's.  Going to be a blast!
All in all it's going to be a good Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough this is mine and Charles' second Christmas together. We've been married 5 years on December 28th (so the one right before doesn't exactly count). I never really had much of a tradition for Christmas; we stopped putting up a tree when my parent's got divorced, we didn't really give or get presents when we moved to Wilbur...Christmas just sort of stopped in our house when I was a kid. From what Charles tells me, and from what I've experienced with his side of the family, they pretty much all cook their own meals, and those with transportation go to see everyone else if they can. So far, I've gone to see both sides of my family every year since getting married and will attempt to do so again this year. We've got our Christmas tree set up, I put paper snowflakes on the window, and we don't have much else for decor.

    I know, though that this will be a good Christmas because we are together as a family, and THAT'S what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting new traditions as a new family is a fun thing to do. I almost made snowflakes.... hmmm... maybe I should do that. Part of the best part of Christmas is the togetherness. I'm so glad that you and Charles are together this year! Blessings upon you!

    ReplyDelete