Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Lake Ate My Glasses!!

Let me paint you a picture of a relaxing and lovely weekend, spending time at the lake with my wife.  This was the first time we were able to stay together for a few days out there.  There weren't a lot of people around and the conversations and the fun we had was special.

But then we come to Saturday afternoon.  I, (JC) decided to brave the lake and actually swim.  I wasn't wearing my contacts because I don't have goggles yet.  Thus I was wearing glasses.  Swimming out to the dock wasn't too bad.  The motions came back to me and even though I was tired, I felt good about it.  Sitting on the dock, goofing off with some kids and my wife, I was having fun.

Then, I decided to go back into the water.  Thinking I was able to slide off the dock gently, I sat down and pushed off.  Yeah, gently was not the way I exited that floating piece of wood.  I went under.  I came up, shaking my head.  I heard my wife yell something about glasses and then they sunk!

I felt a decidedly sad sense of loss.  And even after Brianna made a valiant effort to find them with her snorkel gear, they were gone forever. 

I have heard tales of giant pike in this lake.  Makes me wonder if my glasses are now being used on one of the ancient scholarly fish...

3 comments:

  1. Guess you won't be able to put off a visit to an eye doctor any longer. That's NOT a good thing, but maybe there is a fish that can now see better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of how we get into situations like this with God sometimes. We are out having a good time and suddenly we loose our ability to see clearly. Good thing the Great Physician is always in. Your new glasses will be a snug fit, a new look, and maybe even get you a diopter clearer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... Swimming around in the lake of life, letting go too fast and all of a sudden we can't see clearly. That'll preach... Got to remember to use this story sometime...

    ReplyDelete